March 15, 2011

Donut song



Well I walked around the corner of a Cincinnati block
And I walked right in-to a bakery shop
I picked up a donut and I wiped away the grease
I handed the lady a five cent piece
She looked at the nickel and she looked at me
And she said, "Kind sir, can't you plainly see
There's a hole in the nickel and it goes right through,"
Said I, "There's a hole in the donut too!"

Shave and a haircut -- shampoo
Hit by an auto -- Bellvue
When did it happen -- last night
How do you feel now -- all right
Thanks for the donut -- goodbye
This is the end so -- don't cry!

I especially like the inclusion of the "Shave and a haircut -- two bits" component to this rhythmic chant. Who knew that this short, comedic, musical piece has been around since 1899?! Thanks Wikipedia.

Know-how:
  • All chanting together, with rhythm sticks or clapping or drums
  • One leading, others filling in the last word of each line, including two-bits part
  • Splitting into two or more groups when chanting the first section


Hot Peas N Butter has a great rendition on their album "Hot peas n butter volume 2: A second helping."

3 comments:

Michele Pacey said...

Great fun, and amazing that this has been around for so long! I've heard other lyrics to the same tune...

"Oh I had a little chickie and she wouldn't lay and egg, so I poured hot water up and down her head..."

Are you familiar with that one?

Baroque Clouds said...

Michele...Yes, isn't it funny how far back songs go? Just think about Mother Goose rhymes! In some way, even the tiniest little infant is as old as the universe, I suppose :) Ouch! The version of the song you cite sounds a bit painful...!

Jayanth said...

Kapila...Loved it. Mythily Akka.