May 12, 2011

Craft thing no. 1

The world is a wonder. With friends like Sarah Northshield, virtually-met Canadian compadres like Michele Pacey, lovely craft collectives like The Crafty Crow, and 100% wool felt, how can one go wrong? It's simply not possible, I think.

What I have learned as a slow and plodding new crafter, from these lovely people and places, is that good work takes good time. There are no shortcuts. I spent a weekend doing something very simple, and quite humble, and here it is:

The roll-up pencil case.


Born out of necessity to always have precious pens, brushes and pencils close at hand, and safe, I decided to make up this roll-up case using what I had in my stash - wool felt, so delicious to work with, and embroidery thread. I briefly considered making the case out of some old jeans (which would make a great craft to do with tweens/teens), but I didn't have any old jeans, so...

I referred to Petra Berger's excellent little book to guide me through the simple stitching.




Halfway through, I ran out of embroidery thread, and the case isn't quite as tall as it needs to be for the lovely red brush pen. However...


I'm still happy with it. Now precious writing tools travel in style, comfort and safety!

Happy day to you...

1 comment:

Michele Pacey said...

wool felt is yummy, you're right! your case may be humble but I think we might agree that humble can be beautiful, yes? definitely.