June 1, 2011

Craft thing No. 3

In early March, I went out into the children's garden at work, and with some help from Vince, custodian extaordinaire, I took down a bunch of shrub. I think they were some sort of viburnum. Gorgeous red-green foliage, I suppose they'd be lovely in the fall, but these two bushes were kind of in the way of our garden plans so...I gave them a bit of a trim.


And this is them coming back up, a few weeks ago, in May. The kids from garden club were weeding. Friendly neighbourhood library custodian Andres re-trimmed them down so that we have a large space in which to garden. You can't even tell there were two huge shrubby things there!


What a lovely corner it is now, soon to be filled with all manner of annuals and perennials. But what brings me to this post is this: from the March trimming, I was left with a pile of sticks and branches, and just didn't want to get rid of them. They just had too much...soul in them.


Here you see Hernan and Samantha carting them from one area of the garden to another. They sat there, in a pile, for two long months, alternately getting soaked when it rained, and then drying out when it shone...until just the other day, when I decided to help transform them into another form, for a second of hopefully many lives.

What we ended up with (myself and the sticks, and some leftover moss from the craft closet), was this:


He has a name...


I call him Shishigami...


After the Deer Spirit of the Forest from the soulful movie Princess Mononoke.

2 comments:

Michele Pacey said...

shishigami will bring pleasant energy to your garden without a doubt... he's sweet.

Baroque Clouds said...

Michele...thank you sweetie! We'll have to see how Shishigami does over the season...