August 5, 2011

Sweet Potatoes

I discovered a couple of videos I had been hoarding from back in June at Penn Yan. The sound of the wind through the trees was so lovely in this video offering, I simply had to use this version.

Got this lovely little gem out of Rise Up Singing, after hearing Pete Seeger sing the song. His simple rendition had been on my iTunes for who knows how long? Also discovered that I had a few other versions of the song from various remote albums. Just goes to show... that there is such a thing as the right song for the right place and at the right time.

There's something so sweet and gentle and mild about this little melody. Why had I never seen it before? I hope you enjoy it...



The last two verses are of my own making; the first two, chorus included, are part of the original song. I'm not sure about the origins of this song; as far as I know, it forms part of the African American folk tradition.

PS - Make sure you sing something today...

Love,
Kapila

2 comments:

Michele Pacey said...

Soon as we have read the newspaper, the newspaper, the newspaper. Soon as we have read the newspaper, we'll make some paper hats...

Thanks Kapila, my little one loved it too!

Baroque Clouds said...

Chere Amie, Merci beaucoup :)